An Overview of Toxic Ingestion Treatments
When you take a new pet into your home it doesn’t take long for your new furry friend to become a member of the family. Your new pet deserves the quality veterinary care provided at Forever Vets Animal Hospital. If you live in the Orlando or Hunter's Creek areas and you’re looking for a veterinarian, you should bring your furry friend in for an examination. As we all know, pets love to get into trouble and sometimes that trouble can lead to eating the wrong thing and resulting in toxic ingestion. This can be a serious health issue for pets and there are a few important points to remember when you suspect your pet may have eaten something dangerous.
The Symptoms of Toxic Ingestion
If your pet has eaten something that he or she should not have, the symptoms are going to vary depending on the nature of the item; however, there are a few common symptoms to consider. First, your pet might develop vomiting or diarrhea. This is the body's way of getting rid of whatever is present. Then, your pet might start to look confused or disoriented. This is common with certain toxins that can have an impact on the function of the brain. Some pets may even develop seizures. Finally, flushing, sweating, and fevers are also common reactions. These are signs that your pet needs to be taken to the veterinarian as soon as possible.
Preventing a Toxic Ingestion
Once you arrive at the veterinarian's office, the vet is going to do everything possible to identify the toxin and remove it from your pet. This might include blood draws, urine work, and even pumping your pet's stomach. Then, it will be important to prevent ingestions from happening in the future. In order to prevent ingestion, you need to make sure that all of your cleaning supplies are locked up safely. You should also try to keep human food in a place where your pet cannot get to it. Pets are naturally curious and will explore just about anything with their mouths. As a pet owner, you must be ready for anything.
Call the Team from Forever Vets Animal Hospital
At Forever Vets Animal Hospital, toxic ingestion is only one of the many potential issues that a pet owner might face. Regardless of what happens, please know that we are here to help. If you are in the Orlando or Hunter's Creek area and you would like to learn more about how we can help your furry friend, then please call us today at (407) 930-5151 to make an appointment with our veterinarian.